Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Bluetooth keyboard and the N900


Nice, just like on the good ol' N810. Almost

(DISCLAIMER: After doing this my filemanager shows two of the standard folders such as images, videos and so forth. I have no idea why. It doesn't seem to have really duplicated the folders though.)

The other day I ranted in danish about the how the N900 didn't support bluetooth keyboards.

It still don't, but the always awesome community found a way to make it sorta work.

You can ONLY type letters, not symbols, numbers and so forth. Still, it's better than nothing.

Here's how it goes down. Check out:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Unsupported_Bluetooth_profiles#HID_host_.28i.e._support_for_Bluetooth_keyboards.29

Here's my newb way of doing this.

I installed Midnight Commander(MC) and rootsh.

I navigated to the main.conf in MC, altered the file but couldn't save it. Instead I opened X Terminal, enabled root by typing

sudo gainroot

I navigated to the directory of the main.conf and copied the file to a location, where I knew I could save it without any problems. I typed

cp main.conf /home/user/MyDocs/

I then edited it with MC, saved it and copied it back in X Terminal by navigating to /home/user/MyDocs and typing

cp main.conf /etc/bluetooth/

I then rebooted and connected with my bluetooth keyboard.

And now I'm typing this using the bluetooth keyboard. Well partially, I can't do the ' or / or any of that. I have to do that on the N900's hardware keyboard.

Thank you once again Maemo community.

No comments: