Sunday, December 20, 2009

N900 and the joy of merging contacts



I just got my N900 a few days ago and was very pleased with the contacts management.

First of I powered up Hermes, and it did a great job of pulling info from Facebook and Twitter. There want too many matches, but it was quick and easy to pair up the fragments with the nicknames, that my contacts are often stored as.

Now here comes the great part. The third-party app worked great, but the N900 also had a trick up it's sleeve.

I connected to MSN via the butterfly-plugin and suddenly there was a lot of contacts, who were mere mail addresses.

These were a lot of old addresses for people whom I've had contact with on MSN, but the addresses weren't tied to their phonenumbers.

So I've selected the mail-address entry, pressed "merge contact", which is called "Flet kontakt" in danish, and pop, the field was entered at the contact and the mail-only entry was deleted. Nice.

As I spent a few minutes doing this, I could see the number of contacts decrease while each of them became more and more beefed up with info.

Very nice indeed, and within a few minutes I went from around 245 to 220 entrys. It's not the biggest decrease but still very, very sweet - and easy to do.

No comments: